Thank you for your interest in how the "Memory Keepsake of Gizmo" was made.
1. A sketch was first made from the photograph.
2. I then traced that design in reverse onto weavers cloth with permanent marker.
3. In this photo you are looking the head already punched from the backside. I always referred back to the original photo for shading. The shading is the key.
4. After the body was punched with Medicis Wool, the background was punched with Valdani thread.
5. The punchneedle was approximately 5"x7", so the shadowbox frame was chosen based on what else was going along with it inside the frame.
6. In loving memory of Gizmo.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
Kyle loved the framed piece of Gizmo, he said I captured his eyes. He has the perfect place to hang it in his home. I got so excited I forgot to take a picture of the moment. I'll be visiting him in a few weeks to help him install a new slate tile floor in his kitchen, so I'll see if he'll pose next to the picture for me.
Monday, May 11, 2009
Friday, May 1, 2009
Pictured in the finished shadow box are the punchneedle; the body was punched in Medicis DMC wool, with the background punched in Valdani thread. Gizmo's collar with tags, his paw print (which was provided by the crematory), a name plaque with his dates framed in pewter.
Gizmo, our beloved 14 1/2 year old Rat Terrier passed away this February. Gizmo belonged to my youngest son Kyle who at just 10 years old saved his money to be able to purchase his own little buddy. Years passed and Kyle graduated from Ohio State University, Gizmo was 12 years old at the time and was already slowing down with heart problems. Kyle decided that Gizmo needed to stay behind as he moved to Michigan to attend the College of Veterinary Medicine at Michigan State University.
The "shine" on Kyle... whom my mother referred to as "Brilliant". (She was brilliant too, I'm sure that's where he got it!) Kyle graduated in the top 4% in 2006 with a Bachlelor of Science degree from OSU in Environmental Science. Mom missed the graduation because she was in the hospital, but we called her from the stadium so she could be a part of the celebration. Sadly, Mom passed away 5 days later.
Kyle continues to shine brilliantly at MSU, he just finished up his second year. He has 2 more years before earning his DVM degree, then a 1 year internship, followed by a 3 year surgical residency to become a Board Certified Surgeon for small animal.
Kyle is coming home soon, I'll surprise him with the memory keepsake of Gizmo. One day in the future he'll be able help all of our little buddies who suffer from heart ailments.